The 70's is not all about bell-bottoms, platform shoes, and butterfly collars. I have always like the "boho" styles. They are feminine, flattering, and fun. I find that current styles borrow or recycle styles from the past.
From a McCall's series, the "New York Designers' Collection". This dress appears to be from the late 1960's.
Something from the mid-seventies? A short vest and gauchos. This look along with a nice pair of boots gets a thumbs up from me for fall/winter.
From 2002, this pretty model is sporting a risque look with the lace top coupled with what seemed to be nude-colored camisole. I just received the new issue of Bazaar. Lily Donaldson is wearing a lace top on the cover.
Marcia, Marcia, Marcia, look what I found for my daughter! It seems that there were more stylish and still appropriate pattern styles when I was in grade school and junior high.
Here is a pattern from 1970 that I used to sew a jumper for Heather 3 years ago. There are current jumpers from the major pattern companies, but they do not fit as nicely as this one did.
I plan to sew this again. The collar and bodice have that distinctive beauty and flair that are lacking in current RTW for girls in my daughter's age group which overindulge in images of peace signs, hearts, licensed characters, and Disney teen stars.
Vogue offers very few options and updates for girls in my daughter's age group. Current Buttericks are so plain, and McCall's give off "the grown up toddler look" for girls in any age group. I miss McCall's Hilary Duff line due to her "on-trend" but still age-appropriate styles. Simplicity's Hannah Montana/That's So Raven series offer interesting and RTW styles, but seem to need more adjustments to achieve a nice fit from I experienced in the past.


1 comment:
I agree on the old patterns seeming to fit better - even if they require a few tweaks here and there for specific people (like my daughter with her wide shoulders).
My SIL can't understand why I am not thrilled to sew a new pattern from the store as much as something I found for a dollar from the 1970s... it is just nicer on so many levels - more solid construction, better seam allowance and options for altering the patterns are built in with summer/winter versions in most of the old ones.
I'll be reading :)
Post a Comment