I searched high and low for the date of this pattern. It looks like it is from the mid 1970's.
I used 4 of the 6 given pattern pieces (front, back, sleeve, drawstring).
The SLEEVES came out much more inflated than what was illustrated. By looking at two of my favorite style icons of the 1970's, it seemed that those sleeves were the trend.
Two of my favorite style icons in their 1970's boho attire, former Charlie's Angel and current K-Mart spokesperson Jaclyn Smith,
and glamorous singing diva Cher
Modern day version from Michael Kors, originally selling for $695, now $312 at saksfifthavenue.com
I recently sewed my version of Butterick 5714's view "A", without the ruffles in a Libery of London Tana lawn fabric. Oops, my arm raised a portion of the lower hem!
Modifications/alterations
*I replaced the buttohole opening with a "keyhole" opening for the passage of the drawstring tie. I did not cut the front of the blouse at a center fold. Instead, I added a seam allowance and cut the front as two pieces for creating a "center seam". I stitched the center front seam, leaving a 6" vertical opening at the top for a keyhole opening prior to stitching the neckline casing. For the formation of the keyhole opening, I turned the raw edge under 1/8" and sewed a 3/8" topstitched hem
* Made my usual 1" petite adjustment at the waistline
* Removed 1" from the width of the upper back (taking in the center seam 1/2"), tapering to 0" at central back (still noticeable ease on the back!) I also sewed at the back 2 long vertical darts (1 cm at the widest part) starting from a point an inch below my shoulder blades to just above the lower hem of the blouse.
*Added some shaping at the sides due to it billowing out like a "pillowcase" when I tried it on after sewing the initial side seams. I took in the side seams at most 1 1/2" for a total of extracting 6" of additional ease!
*Added some transparent beads at each end of the drawstring tie.
Conclusion
I like my blouse, but am not too enthusiastic about it due to feeling like a hot balloon ready to take on the skies at any moment. After a few alterations on the pattern, I plan to make it again in a silky fabric.
Special thanks to Adele Bee Patterns in etsy for having the patterns in her on-line store!




3 comments:
I'd definitely lean towards mid to late 70s, too - the hairstyles in the illustrations would certainly point towards such.
These blouses are all really pretty! So summery and timelessly wearable.
Thank you very much for your lovely comment on my 1940s dress post today, I really appreciate it and hope you have a beautiful weekend.
♥ Jessica
Fantastic! I love it all, you really have a talent for sewing. Thanks for sharing your blog with me. Adele Bee Ann Patterns on Etsy
I love all these old patterns featured on your blog - I have a few of my moms leftover from the '70s, too. Just goes to show that great design never goes out of style! Thank you so much for taking a moment to stop by and say hello.
Also, did you check out my latest giveaway? Everyone who enters wins a $15 virtual gift card to Inpink jewelry! No complicated rules and it ends tomorrow! ;-)
Post a Comment