Monday, May 07, 2012

See and Sew Some Seventies' Style

Flower Power goes full force in 1969
Do you recognize the model in the middle?


Fast forward ten years later to 1979, playing crime fighter Tiffany Welles



Yes, she is Shelley Hack, originally from Greenwich, Connecticut.   She simultaneously radiates  natural glamour, wholesomeness, and confidence.  Now, at the age of 64, she still does.  Not only did she model for such magazines as Seventeen and Mademoiselle, she also was a cover girl for sewing pattern envelopes such as this "See & Sew" by Butterick dated circa 1977 (as guessed by a blogger of a fan website: shelleyhack.blogspot.com)

 Special thanks to Adele Bee Patterns in etsy for having the patterns in her on-line store!





I liked the cowl neck, cap sleeves and ease in construction.   I used an ITY fabric that I recently purchased at fabric.com.

The hem came out "bell-shaped" on me. 


Back of envelope.  This is when patterns retailed at 99 cents.


I deducted about 1" from the cowl's top edge, before topstitching and attaching to the neckline, right sides together.  Here's my collar after folding the fabric to the inside and adjusting "the roll" for a "draped" effect. 


Shelley with a pair of buddies, sporting a cowl neck sweater.  This seems like one of her signature looks besides her 1970's outfits in the Charlie perfume ads.



Now, "back" to my green and white top.

You cannot go wrong with just three pattern pieces, front, back, and the cowl collar.

1 comment:

House of Pinheiro said...

Looks great, love the fit and color you u