Sunday, October 07, 2012

Abbey Rhodes, Pinky Lane, and a Fine Fab Four

My daughter, sister-in-law (my brother's wife), and I recently attended a musical theatrical performance (more like a high quality concert production), "In My Life" starring a fabulous Southern California-based Beatles cover band called "Abbey Road Tribute":   http://www.inmylifetheplay.com/index.php?id=82 

"The McCall Miss-tery Tour 1967 revived in 2012"
 I wanted to wear a dress that captured 1960's flair  I sewed a dress (view "B") from this 1967 pattern, McCall's 8990. The sleeveless sheath with options for a "cuffed" collar. or a bound ruched neckline appealed to me.    Special thanks to etsy seller Fragolina for having this pattern available to purchase from her etsy store and for its quick arrival in my mailbox (along with two other patterns): pattern from Fragolina's etsy store

Moulin Rouge and Ruched

McCall' 8990 dresses from 1967

Description: Misses dresses from 1967.

Fabric: Stretch cotton woven

I Want To Sew Your Plan
Directions: They were fine.  I ignored them due to not using the collar and facings.
I used a 22" zipper and a helpful tutorial to attach it: http://www.makeit-loveit.com/2011/10/sewing-tips-installing-a-basic-zipper.html  .  I machine basted the back seam before "taping" the zipper.  I turned the dress to the printed side out and stitched the zipper from the outside, being careful not to touch the zipper teeth.  It has been awhile since I sewed a zipper to a dress. After removing the basting stitch with my handy-dandy seam ripper, I was satisfied with the results. 

I made two versions: the first version in rayon knit and the second in stretch cotton woven with the psychedelic print.  I prefer it in the woven.  The knit dress was subdued and drapy and looked suitable for lounge wear instead of for an evening out.  I was confident about me in my   "psychedelic" dress that evening, until...I saw the photos the next day.

During the intermission of the show:
Pinky Lane and Abbey Rhodes

Pink Jay Ways

After the show, at home:
Sike Adele


Stitching in My Sew-Where Land...
Modifications/Alterations:
I omitted the facings in favor of bias tape to finish the neckline and armscyes. I did not like the blue bias trim at the neckline, making the dress look "apron-ish".  Getting into the "fringe frenzy", I cut a rectangular strip 1 1/2" wide  along the lengthwise grain.  The ridged and fringed selvage added a unique "edge" to the dress. I also shortened the dress several inches so that the lower hem would land just above my knees.

I made my typical petite adjustments above the waistline, narrowed the upper back by taking in the upper center back seam by 3/8".  I could have gotten away with a tad more, because I still encountered extra fabric below the back of my neck.

Get Back
I'll Be Back Again

Sheath Said, Sheath Said
This sheath dress was very easy to make, because I used two main pattern pieces, the front and the back.  It came out more as an a-line dress instead of a fitted one as depicted on the pattern envelope.  The back darts were essential to take in the excess fabric above and below my waist and enables the dress to be more flattering from the side views.  However, from the photos taken at the auditorium lobby, I am not fully satisfied with the sheath's look on me.   I appeared frumpier than I thought.   A dark solid would seem to provide a slenderizing effect.   I was hoping that after already losing 8 lbs, I would have been able to carry this style nicely, but instead I became discouraged after looking at  the photos.  I'll stop with the discouraging thoughts about body image for now.

 Returning to our seats, after the intermission
Pinky Lane



After the show, here we are photographed at the lobby of the performing arts center. The majority of the audience already had vacated the premises.  My daughter insisted that we situate ourselves by the front exit and a lower entrance to the auditorium and wait patiently for the musicians/singers.  Being skeptical, I motioned that we leave the building and walk to the car.  It was nearing 10:30 p.m  Then unexpectedly a little entourage (celebrities and security) ascended from a few flight of steps coming from our right side as we were photographed here, walked passed us, and headed towards one of the tables. The four stars of the show sat at the table in a row, looking like young dignitaries ready to meet, greet, and sign autographs.
With A Little Help From Its Friends and Patrons 



Coming together with the members of "Abbey Road Tribute" for autographs and a photo opportunity. I definitely recommend seeing "In My Life".  It is like experiencing as close as you can get to hear  the Beatles' live.   I  complimented them personally on their sensational performance.  I originally thought the gentleman who played "John" is the cutest of the four. Now after seeing them after the show up close and personal,  I think "Ringo" played by Axel Clarke is the cutest "Beatle" doppleganger, especially with those twinkling eyes.  Axel seems to be the friendliest and the easiest to talk to and I can also relate to him better because he is also a teacher.   Heather, my daughter, also likes Ringo also because of his sense of humor during the little skits.  My sister-in-law has a crush on the guy that plays George Harrison, the tallest and lankiest of the "mop-tops".

Come Together

 Heather really wanted to shake the hands but became frightened.  She, however, insisted that we have a picture taken with the lads to have a photo taken.  After seeing other fans getting their photos taken with the fab 4, my sister-in-law did not want to let this opportunity to slide by, especially when they were in front of us and there was a dwindling number of people at the lobby.  She was able to ask some young lady who was about to exit the building to take our photos with the Abbey Road Tribute Band.  The four gentlemen pleasantly acquiesced to having a photo of them taken with us at the autograph/meet/greet table.  Although the photos were not clear and focused as we had hoped for, they were cool souvenirs of what seem to performers closest to The Beatles whom we would ever meet.


All in a fun day's night!  By the way, the current popular British  pop boy group "One Direction" adored by my daughter was non-existent that evening.
A Fun Day's Night 

1 comment:

knitmachinequeen (KMQ) said...

Fabulous fabric. Your daughter is growing up to be quite a young lady. TFS