Thirty years ago, this pretty face and Princeton graduate graced the cover of TIME:
Brooke partying at Studio 54, also in 1981, with Calvin Klein and Steve Rubell
A pair of 80's McCall's patterns that I sewed with:
A 1983 Boho top
and a 1986 top with "flutter sleeves"
A December 1987 issue of VOGUE
Fast forward thirty years and she's still looking fabulous as shown in a September 2007 issue of Redbook:
At the Primetime Emmy awards in September 2008
As a spokesmodel for NY & Company:
Now going back to 1981:
Pattern Description:
"Misses' pullover tops...A time-saver (tm) stretch-knit pattern. Top-stitched tops have sweetheart necklines. V1 and V2 have front gathers, V2 has gathered flutter sleeves and V3 has contrast fly away collar with button trim and extended shoulders.
Pattern Sizing:
Misses' 6-14. I sewed a "10" at the shoulders tapering to a "14" at the hips.
Fabric Used:
A rayon jersey from fabric.com. Working with certain prints (especially circles) are tricky. Just when I thought I missed the target, "bullseye".
Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Somewhat because my sleeves did not "pouf" out (a good thing) and the ruching at the center front of my neckline is not as distinct as that on the model's.
Were the instructions easy to follow?
I give a double thumbs up for the clear instructions and helpful diagrams.
What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
I was immediately drawn to the sweetheart neckline and the view with the "poufed" and short flutter sleeves. Althouth I like the look of flutter sleeves, I prefer them an 1" longer than the ones for this particular view.
Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
*Performed my usual petite alterations at the waist.
*"Stretched and stitched" a 1/4" width elastic (with length equal to that of the "stay" pattern piece) onto the center front just below the
neckline.
*Due to the slight transparency of the knit, I extended the front facing well below the bustline.
*Understitched the front facing and back facing to prevent them from "flopping out" of the neckline.
Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
I plan to make version 4, the top with the gathered shoulder straps.
I recommend this pattern if you are able to find it, or current patterns with similar styling.
Cheery-O's!
Conclusion:
The styles for this 1981 pattern are very wearable today!
Fashion flashback: Betsey Johnson fashion show, 1981. Geena Davis struts her stuff sometime during the show. You have to wait several seconds before the actual start of the video.










2 comments:
OMG! This top is soooo smart! I love the printed fabric, I enjoyed the photos of Brooke. This is a great treat for the eye.
This is a lovely top. The print placement is clever.
Post a Comment