Monday, October 01, 2007

Wild and Wooly!

PR Message Board, Vintage Sewing Contest

It was so fun to see and compare the pattern pictures with the real-life versions! What was old now is so "in"!!!!!!! My mom regrets throwing out her 60's and 70's shirts and jackets!

Check this out! I was having fun looking at some fun stuff from a July 1967 issue of Seventeen (when magazines had substance). Wow, 60's fashion that looks so wearable today! It's amazing to see popular fashion models at the time such as my favorite, dark haired and doe-eyed all-American-girl-next-door Colleen Corby, wearing clothing from McCall's instead of Rampage or XOXO? It would be fun to look for the jumper, gauchos, turtleneck, skirt, and hat patterns.






Imagine a "Make-It-Yourself With Wool" sewing contest open to high school/college girls (14-21) for an opportunity to win a 15-day holiday to Madrid, Rome, Athens, and the golden Greek islands! "You'll fly there on Olympic Airways' new Boeing 707 super fan jet as you dine on gourmet meals from New York's "21" club." Now this was 1967.....There were also prizes such as college scholarships, savings bonds, and sewing machines! Wow, that sounds exciting and expecially for a girl who enjoys sewing! I chuckled when I read that this contest that "was the only competition of its kind sanctioned by 'secondary school principals' "! It's disappointing that I rarely find contests/competitions that encourage the productivity and creativity of young minds. Unfortunately, many schools including where I teach do not have practical elective classes such as Industrial Arts and Home Economics (even my husband took a textile/sewing class as parts of his high school graduation requirements in the early 80's in Sweden)!

Times are a changin'!

Here's the ad for the sewing contest for girls, 40 years ago. Too bad I was not able to join. I was learning to walk at the time!:


I forgot to add that I definitely would like her far-out outfit! Hmmm. I don't see a pattern number!

No comments: